Monday, November 15, 2010

Seriously, what now?

What should have been IUI #1, September 2010 - didn't even try because we were supposed to be out of town during the middle of my cycle (which didn't even happen)

IUI #1, October 2010 - canceled because I was ovulating on the wrong side.

IUI #2, November 2010 - postponed until next cycle because I was out of town when I needed to have my baseline.

Ok, no big deal. It will happen, I know it will. However, sometime in the midst of all of that, I was diagnosed with some kind of unspecified inflammatory arthritis. And I was tested for lupus and scleroderma (thankfully, I'm negative for both). And the medicine I was given cannot be taken during pregnancy.

What? Something else I have to deal with that can potentially affect pregnancy? I cannot describe how stressful this was, especially when I was waiting for the results of the lupus and scleroderma tests. I know those diseases, especially lupus, can have serious implications for pregnancy -- and for my health overall. Thankfully, it looks like I do not have either of those conditions, and the arthritis is it. It's painful, for sure, and I am still working out what medications I can and cannot take. The rheumatologist wanted me to take a low-dose steroid every day during fertility treatments and pregnancy. I can appreciate what she is trying to do (reduce inflammation), but a daily steroid? Not happening. We still haven't come to a decision, but at least I know I can go without medication, which would have been much more difficult with the other conditions.

That's where I'm at right now. I guess, in the long run, it worked out better that I was not able to move forward with an IUI this month based on timing -- it has given me the opportunity to figure out all of the other stuff. I just need to work on being less stressed about all of it. I think, in my case, knowledge and access to resources and research is not always a good thing. A little ignorance would probably help my stress levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment